Live Support

Forums » Shop Talk - Open to the Public

Etsy - Stand Alone Website Called "Pattern"

• 188 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:12 AM EDT

Hello Everyone!

How do you feel about Etsy offering sellers their own web site through a new program called Pattern?

I can tell you from my perspective, this is a good thing ... but it also means YOU have to figure out how to promote it.

If only there was some place that promoted vintage

... no matter where you sell from... hmmmm

This post was edited by Lora - CEO at April 6, 2016 1:19 AM EDT
    • 188 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:16 AM EDT

Keep in mind this is a public discussion and is indexed (found) via search engines. If you would like to talk about this privately among your fellow sellers, feel free to begin a discussion in our Shop Keepers Corner group

• 188 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:21 AM EDT

Zibbet is offering this web site option to their sellers also.

• 188 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:25 AM EDT

Interesting thread about sub domains

https://www.etsy.com/teams/7718/questions/discuss/17610649/

• 30 posts
    April 7, 2016 1:24 AM EDT
    I am already paying for a shop on Ebay and their rates are going up. Can't afford another site and things are not selling well there either...
  • April 7, 2016 3:23 AM EDT

Hi Guys,

I like the idea, but everyone is saying it is just a mirror image of our existing shop.

I have read hundreds of comments about Pattern, firstly I dont like the name as to me it has no meaning.

It would appear that some people have had one order from Pattern, I have so far had over 200 views, but I don't know if this is from existing members reading the forums or from new buyers.

It would appear that so far the majority of Etsy members are against the new website and will not be using it, some like me are trying out the 30 day FREE trial.

At the moment it seems that Etsy is in a bit in of chaos, with members not receiving their money in to their bank account, Some members not receiving the new shop layout, others having their site going back to the old layout and of course having to pay $15 dollars a month for Pattern if they opt for it.

Also I have read that Etsy may be paving the way to eventually do away with shops and only have the new website Pattern, time will tell and we will have to wait and see.

Here is a link to my Pattern website which if it works I quite like, it is a bit limited to what can have and may want in ones own website and it is not a stand alone website, just an extension to your Etsy shop. http://antiquesetcetera13.patternbyetsy.com

As they say' you pays your money and takes your choice' see what you think.

Regards and good luck Ken.

This post was edited by Ken Antiques et Cetera at April 7, 2016 3:26 AM EDT
    • 188 posts
    April 7, 2016 4:02 AM EDT
    What a different set up then the original format... wow. How long did it take to set up Ken?
  • April 7, 2016 5:25 AM EDT

Hi Lora,

All the details that are already in your Etsy shop including photo's are automatically transfered to the Pattern shop. so all you need to do is choose a background colour, type of script and either a Theme with or without a Logo.

Once I figured it out, just a few minutes.

When you add new items to your Etsy shop it automatically downloads on to your Pattern website.

What a lot of people are having difficulty with is the new shop settings, whether or not to use their own settings or to use Etsies, one of the problems being showing ones address as required by European law when selling in Europe.

Please feel free to ask me anything else you would like to know.

Regards Ken.

• 188 posts
    April 7, 2016 11:21 AM EDT
    One thing I noticed is that the individual images when you click through to an item, seem to be cut off. I am using an iPad right now, so maybe it's different for a desk top.
  • April 7, 2016 1:20 PM EDT

I took the plunge and did open the Pattern site just to see what would happen.   Here's a link to my shop.   I'll see if there is anything to be gained in the future.   Pictures are intact on my computer, but I haven't looked yet from my cell phone. Oh, and I also registered for a domain name just because....

http://www.pastsplendors.com/shop

This post was edited by Nancy PastSplendors at April 7, 2016 1:21 PM EDT
  • April 7, 2016 1:57 PM EDT

I didn't know about it till now. I will wait to see what happens in the future. If etsy decides to use just the one site (Pattern) and not have etsy shops anymore, then its a possibility I would sign up for it. Until then I will stay as I am.

• 188 posts
    April 7, 2016 10:20 PM EDT

I am on my desktop now and for some reason it's worse. I am only seeing a "slice" of an image.

• April 7, 2016 10:29 PM EDT

That's odd... I see the entire image.   What browser do you use?  I have Safari.  I'm not sure what would cause it to do that.

I haven't been looking at the forums but maybe others are having the same problem.

• 188 posts
    April 7, 2016 10:33 PM EDT

Same for Kens site. I am on firefox

• April 7, 2016 10:54 PM EDT

I really don't know.  Maybe a glitch in the Pattern site.    I'm still waiting for my "new" shop look to show up on my computer.  

So far all I have is the old look but it's changed on my cell phone to look different.

• April 8, 2016 1:23 AM EDT

This did happen to me a few times initially, but is now fine. I think it's a glitch in the system and not your PC. It will pass,just be patient.

• 188 posts
    April 8, 2016 5:27 PM EDT

gothcha!!!! :)

• April 8, 2016 5:52 PM EDT

I didn't see that on chrome, it was a good full shot

• 188 posts
    April 8, 2016 10:48 PM EDT

Interesting replies to this thread and exactly why the vintage people need TVV.............. :)

Spread the word folks! :)

How do buyers find your pattern store

• April 9, 2016 3:08 AM EDT

As a suggestion, after you have activated your store and have a few spare minutes which I had yesterday, I played around with the different settings, i.e. Colour scheme, Font and layout to see what looked best. It only takes seconds to change a different setting and get back to the previous one if your not happy.

By the looks of all the hundreds of comments about Pattern, I doubt if there will be many people using it after the 30 day FREE trial is over, unless as previously said Etsy decides to end shops and force everyone on to Pattern because not only will they get their 20 cents per listing, +3.5% of the seling price, they will also have from everyone an extra $15.00 a month coming in. Many sellers have said that for less than $15.00 they can get a stand alone website and do what they like and take any payments that they want. So who knows what will happen in the future.

• April 12, 2016 11:52 AM EDT

Well, I for one am ticked with it all. 

What a confusing mess. I do not have a Pattern shop. If one searches for etsy pattern shop it comes up on Google a bunch of shops selling patterns. Kudos to those stores. 

My problem is I have 2 Etsy shops and have most always pointed my sticky urls to them. 

On social I have rarely actually used the urls of any the venues I sell on. Fickleness is the rule of online selling IMHO. 

Has always made it easier for folks to find me. 

Now since this Pattern launch my sticky urls are working HIT and MISS. I guess Google is confused. 

Is anyone else having problems that do not have a Pattern shop and have used sticky urls over time? 

I may end up having to look into this pattern or Shopify but holding out till the dust settles. 

Tell me if you get to my shops like this? Pretty please with sugar on top. 

http://www.gracefulvtgclothing.com

http://www.gracefulantiquesvtg.com 

This post was edited by Deleted Member at April 12, 2016 11:54 AM EDT
  • April 12, 2016 12:49 PM EDT

Yes, the links go straight to your shops.

• April 13, 2016 8:10 AM EDT

No I'm not using the Pattern Site, not yet anyway - it's Spring and I haven't wanted to spend more time on the computer!  But I am interested in how Graceful Antiques uses sticky urls?  Not sure what they are but the url like that doesn't go to my Etsy shop.

:)Penni

• April 13, 2016 11:47 AM EDT

I have them from GoDaddy. I just buy a url and then point it to my Etsy shops. Get the privacy feature on them. The pointing to wherever I want is under the domains. 

You may want to hold out on them though as working fine now but not sure now how Etsy sees them or Google TBH since I am not a pattern shop for now. 

I have used sticky urls since 2002 when coming online. 

Makes it easier for me to give to customers and also move if I have to. 

• August 18, 2016 11:35 AM EDT

Have no intention of using their new feature.  I use my blog as #1 way to find me and then it points to every place I go do online.....including our Vintage Village!!