Live Support

Forums » Shop Talk - Open to the Public

Which Glass is Selling?

• 62 posts
    July 31, 2015 11:59 PM EDT

posted by Ellene Meece  7-7-2013

Researching this vintage glass candy dish, I came across an article from Glass and Pottery Sellers Association on what will sell out there of this type. Thought I would share it here for others who have some of the pretty, clear glassware pieces to sell.

How Does One Decide Which Glass Will Sell on eBay?A Few Suggestions From GPSA's Own WGPaul

Bill’s 15 Rules for Happy Glass Buying

• Don’t buy oodles of clear glass until you know something about it. Most clear glass is relatively worthless on Ebay. And that’s from a guy who collects clear glass! There’s some great pieces in clear glass but you will waste your time if you buy every piece of clear glass you can find.

• Learn about the most commonly found glass. While there are some rare pieces in these patterns, most of the items you will find are common. Look at the following patterns: 

• Early American PresCut
      • Wexford
      • Indiana Harvest (Carnival and Milk Glass)
      • Stars and Bars
      • Concord by Brockway

See the pictures above for examples of this glass, and also check out this helpful page: 

Undocumented and Under Documented Glass Patterns 

• Don’t buy cube glass thinking it’s Fostoria American. Learn to tell Indiana Whitehall from American first. (Besides, what did I tell you about clear glass?) 

• Don’t buy small square dishes with frilly edges that look like English Hobnail. They aren’t, and there’s a gazillion of them out there. 

• Learn about florist glass - E. O. Brody doesn’t usually sell. Also that Teardrop pattern from Indiana. 

• Not all glass with cut flowers is Princess House. The PH flower looks like a fuschia from the side. the pattern is called Heritage. Learn to recognize it. Although fairly contemporary, some of it sells very well. But be sure it’s PH first. (OK, it’s clear - rules were made to be broken.) 

• Just because it’s old, doesn’t mean it’s valuable. There are currently over 20 pages of EAPG items in the completed listings under $9.99. While some of these are misidentified, many are lovely old pre-1910 items that just don’t sell. I started collecting a US Glass pattern after I kept seeing sell for so little on eBay. (Just what I needed - another pattern to collect!) 

• Learn to recognize recent Polish cut glass. It’s pretty but not very sale-able on eBay - especially in clear. (Did I mention not to buy clear glass?) 

• Now that the categories are back, you can do my favorite exercise. Choose a category. Sort by price. Look at what’s selling for big bucks. Pray you find one. Now sort by lowest. See what’s selling for under $10. Don’t buy this stuff. Now search for items in that category between $20 and $50. These are the items you are likely to find if you know what you are looking for. 

• Buy wisely. Do your homework. Study. Hang out at the discussion board. Go to the library. Read something about glass every night. 
      • f it can’t be ID’d, dump it. Sell it cheap, give it away or donate it. Sure, it could be that $5,000 item you’ve been waiting for, but it’s more likely a $10 item you’ve just spent 5 hours trying to ID. That’s $2 an hour. It’s not even minimum wage. I think I had a job in 1970 that paid $2 an hour. 
    • Use the GPSA glossary for descriptions of flaws. 
    • Describe damage in factual terms. Don’t use judgments like good condition, small chip, doesn’t take away from the piece. Let the buyer decide all that. Just describe it by size and shape - a 1/4” flat chip on the bottom where the piece sits. The buyer can decide whether that’s “good condition” or not.
    • Have fun! 
    •  

1. Don’t buy clear glass until you know what sells. (Oh - did I mention that already?) 

Bill

This post was edited by Deleted Member at September 9, 2015 4:57 PM EDT